VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 13:59:13 -0400
Hi all,
My thanks for  the tips and info that Mike Arigo and David Woodbridge have given the blind community over the past 5 years.
I’ve gleaned so much from their audio tutorials.
This info below, is from Mike Arigo’s podcast on Snow Leopard. While that’s an older version of the OS, I’m glad I listened to this info he gave. This is revolutionary.
I’m using of course, Mac OS10.9 Mavericks.
This tip, will let the voice over curser let you edit and type documents, just like on a windows computer.
And while Windows has its faults, as everybody knows, for a screen reader user, it is much easier to do documents.
So, this is how you can change where the voice over curser is located. This setting will put it to the right of the last character you typed.
My deep thanks to the folks at Apple, for letting the voice over user, make this change.
So, here’s how to do it.
1. Press control option f8 to open the voice over utility.
2. Then, press tab, and it should say utility categories general, 1 of 1.
3. Then, right arrow over 1 time to verbosity..
4. Now, tab down 1 time, and it will say speech, 1 of 5.
5. Now, right arrow 2 times to text, and I have quick nav on, so I press up and down arrows to select it, but if you don’t have quick nav on, just press control option spacebar to select it.
6. Then, tab 4 times to, speak text the curser passes, popup button. This is the default, which we’re going to now change.
7. Then, with quick nav on, I just press up and down arrow to open this menu. The check mark will be on speak text the curser passes.
8. Down arrow to speak text to the right of the curser, when moving the curser, and press control option spacebar to make the change.
Now folks, you have a voice over curser that now lets you edit just like on a windows machine.
I cannot tell you what this change has done for me.
My work output has dramatically increased, because I already know how to edit and type, when the curser is to the right of the last character typed.
I can insert text, delete text, and edit text, just as quick and easy as I could on my old windows computer.
So, if this encourages more windows users to come over to the Mac, the more the married!
Harry.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]