From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2014 14:42:55 -0400
Richard,

Having had both radios, there are definite differences between the 480 and the 590.  Although the 480 can be used as a base station, it is essentially a mobile radio meant for use in a vehicle.  Because of the radio's size, the internal tuner is not as good as the internal tuner in the 590 because there's not enough space to house all the capacitors and inductors needed to handle higher SWRs.

The DSP and filters are better in the 590 because they are in the IF rather than the AF stages, which means that they do their work at the point where the signal enters the radio instead of at the end of the line.

The transmit audio is also less restricted in the 590, going out to 3 KHz instead of 2.4 KHz as in the 480.

Please understand, I'm not criticizing the 480.  In fact, if it was my only choice, I'd live with it very happily.  I'm just pointing out that there are some differences between the two radios, and depending on your choice of operating modes, they may become important enough to upgrade.  If you're thinking of buying a 590 and you want a new one, now is the time to get one.

Steve