From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2014 21:09:24 -0400
Hi, all.

Well, among other things, I got to play some ham radio from out at the RV
this week-end, and it was an interesting venture.

First, I worked quite a few W1AW Centennial QSO Party operations.  They
included:

W1aw/5 from Texas on 15 cw, 17 cw 17 ssb, 20 cw, 30 meters, 80 cw, and 160
cw.

W1aw/1 from New Hampshire on 40 cw, 30 meters, and 80 cw.

And w1aw/0 from Colorado on 20 ssb.

All contacts were made with 100 watts, which is all I have out at the RV.
Interestingly, I was able to use my MFJ auto-tuner extender to extend the
tuning range of my TS480's internal auto-tuner with my Alpha Delta DXCC
sufficiently to make the 80 meter Texas and New Hampshire contacts, and even
the W1AW/5 contact on 160 meters.  The 160 meter w1aw/5 contact around 11
p.m. actually surprised the heck out of me, but I made it through a
considerable pileup.

I was surprised to find so few Colorado W1AW portable operations, but
perhaps I just somehow missed them.

I also worked a few stations in the Worked All Europe SSB contest late in
the evening.

Since my DXCC antenna seems to be doing fairly well right where it out at
the camp site, I'm actually thinking of asking the camp ground mamagement if
I can just keep the antenna up right where it is over the winter.  My XYL
and I are planning to reserve the same  camp site for next year, so
hopefully, that won't be a problem.

Anyway, I just wanted to report all of this to the group.

P.S.  I checked for the 40-meter round table at 4 p.m. Eastern yesterday
afternoon, and heard nothing, so I assume that didn't happen.

Oh well, there's always next week for that one, and hopefully, I'll be able
to check in from the RV if the weather cooperates for one of the few camping
weekends left in this year's camping season.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ