From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2014 13:16:50 -0600
well, at the end of the day, it is what it is and you will use as much of it
as you can.
It'll likely have all frequencies programmed into memory, so it'll be a
matter of knowing where the power button is, the channel selecter, and maybe
the RF power level button along with maybe the reverse button.
I have yet to come across a radio I can't use on a daily basis...if not
completely programmable without sited assistance, they are all usable...IE
picking up the mike and talking and being able to figure out what frequency
you are on.
Here is a tip:
If you have any local active NOAA weather stations in the 162MHZ area, have
your helper program in one of those frequencies to give you a point of
reference while you are selecting memory channels.  What i do on radios with
little accessibility is program a weather frequency in channel 0 or 1, then
I have repeaters and simplex frequencies programmed in an order that I
remember or can note down...then at the end of the batch of channels I have
another weather frequency programmed...then I put in what ever other
frequencies I may want to listen to IE public safety or FRS or whatever,
then another weather frequency...so that at the end of it all, there is a
weather frequency programmed at the beginning, and end of the
channels...this way, when I am spinning the dial, I can listen for two
weather frequencies back to back and I'll know where my first and last
channels are and go from there.  The single weather channel will separate my
banks if you will...and it's easy enough to note down your channel order
somewhere so you can refer back to it.
This makes life pretty simple.
Also, as inaccessible as allot of radios may be, they almost always have
buttons for things like VFO, and frequency step...so, for instance, on my
yaesu ft8100 I have memory channels set up in a particular order with
weather frequencies to define the parameters...then, if I want to get to a
frequency not programmed in, I can simply go to a known memory channel, hit
the button that transfers the memory channel to VFO, then use the frequency
step button to select 1MHZ, 100KHZ, 10KHZ or 5KHZ steps and use the main VFO
knob, counting clicks up or down by whatever step I choose, to find a
frequency I want to use.  Yaesu is good enough to put high and low beeps on
all their toggle functions, so that too makes it doable.  No speech in the
radio, but totally usable for me...and I simply used the software to program
all my memories initially.
If I get particularly creative, I will program multiple memory locations
with the same repeater pair, but different tone, so that if I am in a
different city that uses different tones on their repeaters, I can have the
right tone output when I use the VFO part of the radio...setting ctcss is
probably the biggest pain on inaccessible radios.
Anyway, sorry for the long winded post but we are hams after all lol.
Enjoy the new radio.

73
Colin, V A6BKX