From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 06:45:37 -0400
There are many vertical antennas made for HF. Some, like the cushcraft R5,
are good up in the air. Some, especially if they go to 40 and 80 meters it's
better on the ground because you're talking about some insane ground radial
lengths. Mine goes from 10 to 80 meters so ground mounted is about the best
way, a 1/4 wave ground radial or 2 up in the air would pretty well have to
be tied off to something, they'd never support themselves. I know someone
who did it and he has h is radials tied off to trees, why he didn't just put
up dipoles I don't know because that's what it ends up looking like he has
anyway but it works for him. Does it perform any better than mine ground
mounted? nope, not that I can see and that's figuring he has a better
location,half inch hard line verses my RG-213, and his is the Mosely
expensive vertical against my hustler 5BTV. I've operated from both stations
and don't notice much difference, a vertical is mainly good when the band is
open anyway and once the bands open up they're pretty equal. In fact until
trying his, I was thinking about raising mine but now that I know how equal
they are, I decided not to bother and am leaving mine right where it is.