From:
Rob DeZonia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2014 14:44:07 -0700
Hi List,

My name is Rob and as the subject states I'm an old guy who will be taking
my Technician exam fairly soon, not soon enough since they only do it once a
month in my area and I just missed the test date.

At any rate, back in the day, late 60s early 70s I did have my Novice Ticket
and have listened to amateur radio pretty much since I was a kid.

My goals are meager, not to build the next communications system for the
space station, or even to build a crystal set. I just want to talk to folks,
make new friends both locally and globally.

My question is, what about accessible handheld radios. I live in an area
where putting up antennas and having a big rig is not feasible right now.
I've read "eyes-free" manuals on 3 different HT's. Any opinions on the
easiest to use for a beginner?

I won't even get started with my questions about EchoLink, and IRLP, how to
find local repeaters and such. That hopefully will come in time once I've
procured my license.

This is mostly just a howdy.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Rob