From:
"Bob, K8LR" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2014 11:32:25 -0400
Notes on the Sony ICD333PX recorder

I think that this small pocket digital voice recorder is very useable by the
blind.  It retails for just under $60 and I bought a refurbished one for $37
on EBay.
This recorder is just what I've been looking for and I wrote this file to
remind me how the recorder works as well as to inform others who are
interested.

It comes with 4gigs of internal memory and it will take a memory card as
well as a USB cable for connection to your computer.

If you hold the recorder with the mike pointing up, the display will be at
the top of the unit.  The speaker is at the bottom front and between  the
display and the speaker
are nine buttons.  The top three buttons just below the display are from
left to right,  folder, scene, and menu.  The two large buttons in the
middle of the recorder are
play and record.  The play button is on the left and has a dot on it.  The
record button is slightly concave.
Below those two buttones are three more buttons and they are from left to
right, left arrow-rewind, stop, right arrow-fast forward.  Just below the
right arrow is a small
round button that will put a time marker on a recording, but that is a
visual marker not useable by us.

Everything beeps with the exception of when the recorder turns on and off.
If you push the top left button, the folder menu is activated.  You'll get a
double beep at folder 1 and right and left arrows will cycle between the 5
folders.  Hitting the
play/enter button selects the active folder.

The middle scene button allows you to select mike sensativity.  The default
is "meeting, and to the right of that is notes, interview, lecture, and
audio input, the lowest
sensativity.  I personally like the interview setting with the internal
mike.

The third button on the top right just below the display, is the menu
button.  This recorder has lots of functions including copying and moving
files, dividing files,
selecting bit rate and memory to be used, vox and much more.  I was
interested in adding or apending a note at the end of a note that I had
already recorded.  To do this,
Hold the menu button for around 1 second and the recorder will give one
beep.  If you then hit the play/enter button, your placed on the add menu.
If you hit the play/enter
button again you'll get a longer beep and add has now been turned on.

The stop button on the bottom is the exit key from the menu system and is
also the button you use to stop recording.

A couple more things.  When you firstpower up the recorder, it will beep and
you must hit the stop button to continue.  When the recorder first beeps
upon power up, it wants
you to set the time.  The best way to do this is to install the Sony sound
manager software which is actually on the recorder.  When you plug the
recorder in to your computer
using the supplied USB cable, the recorder will appear as a flash drive on
your computer.  There are a Mac, Windows, voice  and other folders in the
recorder drive  and with in the
Windows folder is a program to install the sound manager program.  Once that
program is installed, when you connect the recorder, the time and date and
other files will be
updated.  The sound manager will also prompt you for  an update, it did that
on my unit.

When you record, you'll get a beep when you start recording, if you hit the
record button again, you'll get a double beep which puts you in the pause
mode.  To stop
recording, hit the stop button.  To append to a message, hit the record
button while the message is playing, you'll get a double beep.  Then hit the
record button again and
add your append message, then hit the stop button and the two messages will
be attached.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them if I can.

you can email me at

Bob, K8LR, [log in to unmask]