From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2014 08:10:37 -0400
Hi Dave,

Congrats on the Collins amp project.   I understand it is a very nice
piece of gear and I'm sure  you will enjoy it.

I think the ALC issue will only  be a factor  for solid state amps or
amps with (expensive) ceramic tubes.       These amps have comparatively
fragile  finals, and so will have some  sort of protection circuit to
shut it down   for things like overdrive, high swr, etc.  I think most
garden variety tube amps will never see any problem if there is a spike.

The whole thing may be radio specific and amp specific.   There are
folks on this list running SS amps with the 590 and have no problems.
On the other hand, my SS amp was very finicky with the 590, but not so
with a TS-2000, or 480.  So go figure.

You may want to confirm the serial number  system I posted with another
source.    I had gleaned this info from 2 places online, and of course
we know that is a thousand percent reliable.   Seems to fit with my
radio however.

While the TW-1 may lack a bit in accuracy, it is better than nothing.
The tones for tuning amps and tuners are very good and will help you to
get the amp tuned.   There is always talk of something new coming out,
but I guess these things take time.

Alan KD7GC is using  a Power Master from Array Soulutions in conjunction
with a Hampod.     I have a Wavenode unit here, but find the software
almost unusable, although it does have some basic voice functions.
neither one is very cheap.

73, hope to chat with you again on the air sometime, Steve KW3A