Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 20:07:07 -0600
7bit
Sender:
From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
One would be surprised what a single driven element made for 20 15 and 10
or, the one I had, was for 30 17 and 12 meters.  Something like that is
light enough to put on a low mast with a light weight rotator, too.  People
think you have to have tall towers and big antennas to have maximum fun on
the air working DX but believe me, when limited room and limited funds is an
issue, a rotary trapped dipole works amazingly well at even 25 feet.  An
amplifier of just 400 to 500 watts makes a big difference, too, compared to
running 100 watts barefoot.  Working more CW nets better results when
running 100 watts.  Sure, multiple elements means front to back and a
heavier rotor but it also means you are turning the thing many times more
than with a single element.  One of the best 2 element tribanders ever made
was the Hy Gain TH2 which I ran for years.  With single driven tri band
trapped elements on a shorter mast, you can rotate it from the ground, if it
is bolted to the house at about 12 to 14 feet that is, and you only have to
tap the rotator for a short time to swing broadside.  Why not just put up
wires, you ask?  Sure, that's fine but give me a horizontal rotating antenna
with a single driven element at 25 feet any day over an inverted vee at 40
feet.

Phil.
K0NX