VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Blaine Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Blaine Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2014 19:58:25 -0400
Sherry, you would need enough space to create the compressed file so
you're possibly looking at another external HDD. But! I'm wondering if
you might not be able to reduce the size of what's already there. Do you
currently make full or incremental backups? Full backups take a lot of
space because each backup is one entire copy of your source. Incremental
backups only add changes to the backup target. I have a 1 Tb external
that I use to backup my wife's desktop as well as my own, plus both of
our laptops. We have a good supply of music and a few videos and movies
as well as the normal personal documents and loads of pictures. We've
got great-great nieces and great grand babies so when I say we have
pictures, we have pictures! I have four folders on the external, one for
each computer and I put incremental backups into each folder. We have
well over 50% free space on the external. I also reduce the size by
filtering out file duplicates and keeping one folder marked as the
primary backup and the other three marked for which computer they came
from. I backup settings as well as software lists and software sources
so that I can keep the settings and programs on the laptops from being
changed from the high security settings I have on them. I won't go into
detail as to how I do that because I don't use Microsoft any more. I got
fed up with it and for years we've used Linux.
Unless your external HDD is small and you have several computers backed
up on it, you should be able to trim things down by changing your backup
settings and performing incremental backups, plus there are utilities
that allow you to find and remove duplicate files if that would help.
There is of course one big caveat. There is one other reason for a false
message of a drive being full and that is if it is physically failing.
You should be able to use chkdisk to check the drive for physical
errors. Here's a link to some info;
http://www.w7forums.com/threads/how-to-use-chkdsk-check-disk.448/

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]