From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2012 17:29:43 -0400

Maybe it depends upon the nut.  Raw hazelnuts with skin intact taste  quite
sweet to me -- not bitter.  Or perhaps Aboriginals have weak  digestion.
Allergic reactions and choking aside, I've yet to hear of  death by raw
hazelnut. In any event, I don't plan on doing or not doing  something based upon
what the Aboriginals do or did.  Also, if I had such  trouble with a
particular food that I had to go through all sorts of special  preparations such as
soaking, drying, in order to tolerate it or to make it  palatable -- I
probably wouldn't bother because I have a robust lazy  streak. As for raw
hazelnuts or any other commonly eaten tree nut  such being toxic or poisonous
unless soaked, dried etc -- people would be  dropping dead right and left of nut
poisoning.

In a message dated 6/5/2012 2:52:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,