From:
Katherine Forgacs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katherine Forgacs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2014 00:13:25 -0400

Here are the responses I got to my June 5 query about GFCFSF &vegetarian
food in Sweden. Thanks so much to everyone who responded!

I got some detailed responses from another list also, if anyone wants the
link to that thread I can email it to you.

What I've found in my own research and from all the responses is that many
GF products in Sweden seem to be made with soy or oat flour (neither of
which I can eat, so I pass it along for others in a similar situation).
There seems to be a high awareness of lactose intolerance, as most
by one person to say that I have a milk allergy if I want to convey that I
can't have any dairy products at all.

Tack så mycket! :)

-Kat

* * *
We went to Europe last summer.  Europe understands GF.  Had wonderful
whole-grain dark brown rolls in Sweden..our hosts purchased them at regular
supermarket.  We were in Lund.  All the young folks speak English and most
of the older ones,too.  And they usually speak it to you.  Don't know how
they realize we're Americans.  When we stayed at the Radisson Blu Strand in
Stockholm, the HUGE complementary breakfast buffet included a small table
of GF breads and preserves, etc. In addition to all the fruits, eggs,
cheeses, meats, etc.  The produce is amazing.  We adored Sweden and
Scandinavia in general.  In Stockholm there's a buffet place high up on a
hill with a zillion different dishes that would work very well for needs.
Sort of a student hangout, but it's all-you-can eat.  It's a out
$30/person., but that's affordable for dinner.  Sweden is pricey.  If I can
find its name, will e-mail you.  You    could Google it and see if you
wanted to risk it....don't know how sensitive you are.

* * *
My wife and I have been to southern Sweden a few times, but further south
than you mentioned (Malmø and Ystad).  I am coeliac, but have no other
dietary requirements.  I had no trouble with my diet, and I found several
items in supermarkets that I could eat, even small supermarkets.  English
was widely spoken and even more widely understood.  However, with your
special needs, it would probably be a good idea to have your requirements
translated into Swedish for the avoidance of doubt.

What may help you is that all packaged food you buy must have its
ingredients printed on the label, with known allergens (*eg* gluten, dairy)
highlighted.  This is a requirement in all EU countries.  Hence, if you
want to read these, you will need to know the Swedish for all ingredients
you must avoid.

* * *
http://www.celiactravel.com/stories/getting-gluten-free-food-in-sweden
-from-a-resident/

* * *
I am sensitive to even traces of gluten and stayed in an apartment-hotel in
Gothenburg in 2006.  I cooked all my meals in my kitchen and bought most
supplies locally.   Nordstans is a big Mall near the Train station - the
grocery store there had the maximum supply of breads, crackers, cookies
etc.  I prefer Schars or Glutano products - like the taste and know that
they are safe GF products.  Other stores also carry GF items.  Plus there
are plenty other brands as well.  Gluten free is very well understood and
hotels will have GF items for breakfast.

* * *