From:
Lou Kolb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2014 12:39:58 -0400
Phil,

Extremely interesting comments, especially since my first ham radio love
these days seems to be CW. For now, I'll just make 2 comments of my own. I
use the Elecraft K3 here and, one of its best features is the ability to
narrow the receiver down to 50 hz with no ringing. This is extremely useful
for cutting out close-in stations but it is not without its side effects. At
that bandwidth, the receiver is actually narrower than the cw signal itself
and the affect is a softening of the keying since you're not hearing the
whole signal. My objective as a rag chewer is always to filter out as much
noise as I possibly can so that I hear nothing but the CW tone. But, as I
mentioned, go too narrow and you'll lose the actual sound of the keying. So
I usually compromise at 200 hz. In most cases, especially with the bands not
as crowded as they used to be, you get a good clean signal to listen to.
However, I certainly understand why you like to have it wider. Different
strokes, I guess. Also, Bob's point about headphones vs. speakers is well
taken. I've seen way too many code tests, back when we used to give them,
administered in rooms with live acoustics. Of course, that makes it much
harder to copy but I think most VE's are oblivious to the effect room
acoustics can have on copy. 73. Lou  WA3MIX
Lou Kolb
Voice-over Artist:
Radio/TV Ads, Video narrations
Messages On-hold: