From:
Jim Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 14:19:28 -0500
I think everyone understands that speech processing is a general category
that may include, compression, equalization, and even sound effects such as
a reverb.  In fact, I used to put some reverb on my voice back in the '60s.

Typically though, the "Speech processor" in a rig is a compressor.

Here's what the TS-590 manual says about the "Speech Processor":
The Speech Processor levels out large fluctuations in your voice while you
speak. When using SSB, AM, or FM mode, this leveling action effectively
raises
the average TX power (SSB/AM) or raises the deviation to an adequate level
(FM), resulting in a more understandable signal. The amount of voice
compression is fully adjustable. Using the Speech Processor makes it easier
be heard by distant stations.
--
Jim, KE5AL