From:
Michael Thurman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:33:26 -0400
how would it hurt the radio?  if it is a 100w radio it should be fine at 100w even on fm  otherwise they would  have it set to only allow slower power level. Perhaps you a re thinking of am, where emost radios do not work well if ou try to run too much power on am? Unless you are planning to put a brick on the ptr and  leave it transmitting for an hour, I have never in my ham career heard of a radio that could be damaged by running it’s full output on any mode for anything close to reasonable use. Obviously you would not use any ham rig as a full time repeater at full output, but I doubt you are planning to put up your own 10m fm repeater using the ts480. My ts2000 doesn’t break a sweat at full output power in fm mode even if I talk for a very very long time, and I have used mine to replace a broken repeater link between a local vhf and uhf repeater during a net, and have talked for a very long time on 10 fm at full output as well, and the radio barely goes to high cool on it’s fan. Consiering  ken wood makes a 200w version of the 480, I doubt even the 100w version would break  a sweat at full power fm operation even fi you did use the peverbail brick on the key..

Michael Thurman