From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2014 10:45:30 -0600
hey richard:
as was said, theoretically, metal that close to the antenna will effect it's
radiation pattern etc.  However, you've still got a whole lot of antenna up
in the clear.  You must use ground radials with this particular antenna to
make it work at all though.
Also, I very strongly recommend not getting the 160 option for the
matching/tuning box at the bottom.  Our club had one of these antennas, and
it worked really quite well with four 65 foot radials at the bottom, until
we added the 160M option...at which poit the antenna became almost useless
on all bands.  It worked great from 80 through 6M without that 160 add
on...until, alas, it bent over in a wind storm and touched a power line and
fried everything including the radio attached to it lol.
We had it ground mounted on a piece of 1.5 inch pipe driven into the
ground...the bass was at about 1 foot or so off the ground.
Anyway, great antenna without the low band thing.
BTW, S9 antennas are on sale through cheapham.com and their 43 foot vertical
is on sale for a very good price...along with the radial plate and the other
various accessories.
you can score the 43 foot vertical with all hardware for under $200.

73
Colin, V A6BKX