Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2014 12:53:28 -0700
Hi Mike,

   I agree with Steve that another excellent coax is the Davis RF
Bury-Flex based on all the comments and reviews.  You can visit their
web site at:
http://www.davisrf.com/buryflex.php
Below I've copied a rather long message from the designer that he
posted  to the Tower Talk list a while back.
Rob
Possibly this will help you and others:  We sell  LMR, and also
Bury-Flex Tm,
which I designed over 10 years ago.   Bury Flex Tm has become one of our
best
sellers and is bought by many hams as well as NASA, Lockheed Martin,
SPAWAR,
etc., as our core business is commercial.

   Outer jacket on both:  Polyethylene ("PE") of very similar if not
virtually
the same chem. composition, 400 and Bury-Flex.  If you are also thinking of
LMR-400 UF (ultra flex), that outer jacket is TPR, not PE, and will not
last as
long as PE in UV.  TPR, on avg. in USA might be 15-18 yr life, approx,
whereas
quality PE will go at least 25 yr and more.
    Attenuation and MUF:  Although Times spec is 16 GHz, and not to
chide them
as they do a great job, we don't recommend it over 8 GHz, for various
reasons.
Bury-Flex Tm:  I don't recommend it over 3 GHz.   For up to 3 GHz, both
attenuations are very close to each other.  For HF, not even worth
comparing,
virtually the same.
    Flexibility:  Bury Flex definitely has it over LMR 400 and is only a
slight
perception less flex than Ultra Flex 400....again, not a distinctive
difference.

NOTE:  the TPR jacket of Ultra Flex ("UF") is not nearly as good for
low-friction to metal, i.e., to the tower, etc.  In fact, Bury Flex is
EXCELLENT for a coil around the tower for crank ups.  UF is not.
    Pricing:  We have quite low pricing on LMR 400  and UF (presently
.81 avg
for Bury Flex vs. .75/ft LMR 400    (400 UF is $ 1.13)   List on 400 is
.88 and
400 UF is 1.33)    Prices can vary periodically primarily due to copper
fluctuations and mfr. price changes.
    PE  vs. TPR or PVC:   PE is relative rodent resistant, a strong
application
point for many hams.  This is why we were first to convert our control
cables
(not all) for rotators, etc., to PE outer jackets.  And the cost
difference is
minimal.
Bottom line:  PE is much tougher (higher durometer) than PVC or TPR. You
will
quickly learn this when cutting into a PE jkt with a new razor blade:
PVC will
be like butter, PE much tougher (but not a pain if you use a sharp safety
razor), thus  PE is much more abrasion resistant , and can be laid thru
ponds/rivers, etc..... PVC can not be as so, it is only "moisture
resistant"...not "water proof" (varies with mfrs., some mfrs ref. their
PE to
be "highly moisture resistant")

    My strict advice over the years:  don't "skimp, save a dime, etc."
on your
cable and connectors.  It is not worth the hassle of repair/replace in the
middle of winter, up a tower, in the middle of that contest or contact with
rare DX.  Your best system results/success, as all members of this forum
know,
is first with the antenna system, working back from there.  Lastly, make
SURE
that your connectors are installed properly (we can do that for you if
you are
of many who can't stand the process, N, BNC, UHF, etc etc)  AND that
they are
sealed extremely well from the elements (again "moisture proof" vs. "water
proof", doesn't hack it in my book...needs to be "water
proofed").....plenty of
archive info on TT ref this subject.

Bury-Flex has been extremely popular over the years with hams, and the
commercial biz.  But again, we have excellent prices on LMR types, same
to next
day shipment 99% of time on either (tend to have back orders
occasionally on
Bury Flex) and excellent customer service...we smile, never blasé....HI

  Soon to be released to TT, etc:  I have promised many of you the
following,
now done and just in line to get onto the site (I can't respond to email
requests for this now, will let you know when on DavisRF.com: Decision
criteria for choosing between various options of 1/2" and 7/8" OD Hard
line...
all product options avail, and which give similar electrical/mechanical
results:  one fairly new product which is a DISTINCT cost savings in the
7/8",
equal performance  to LDF5 (Now AVA5) Andrew Heliax product.

   I will check with Steve to see if I can attached is a spec to a TT
submission
( ref. Bury-Flex Tm), also will be on DavisRF.com I hope in near future
(many
site priorities).

     Please support your dealers who know what they are doing, are there
for
you, and not simply clerical reps who dispense price per part #. There is a
lot to be said for "you get what you pay for".

As usual, feel free to contact me with any question or input you can
share with
me...always welcomed.

   Cheers, Steve   K1PEK
   978-369-1738
~ Davis RF Co., Div. of Orion Wire Co.,Inc.
Distribution to numerous industries,  Andrew
Heliax; Times Microwave LMR; RFS Celwave and others.
Cable design engineering. RF Peripherals.
www.davisRF.com
Tel: 1-800-328-4773 (1-800-DAVIS RF) Tech'l: 1-978-369-
1738, Fax: 1-978-369-3484

~ DAVIS/ORION Marine Wire and Cable Co., Distribution and Design: UL/USCG
Marine Stds.  Tel: 877-242-2253  Fax: 603-787-2221 (Direct tel to Steve
Davis:
978-369-1738 or Fax: 978-369-3484)

~Orion Wire Co., Inc., Design Engineers of Specialty/Custom Cable
Tel: 1-800-328-4773, 1-603-787-2200 Fax 1-603-787-2221,
email: [log in to unmask]
www.davisRF.com