From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2014 14:48:11 -0230
Hi all:

Is the Hampod only designed for Elecraft?
I wonder if it could be used in a remote station environment, side by side with a Griffin power mate?
I'm researching another remote station and I'm looking into Icom as the possible way to go.
They have a USB tuning knob to use with the RSB-1 software but it only has 3 buttons, one for PTT and the other 2 are programmable. Now 2 a blind user, what good would 2 buttons be?
Keeping in mind that the RSB-1 may not be accessible, there are allot of things that we can't do in HRD such as set up split, adjust the filter shifts or bandwidths and on it goes.
The sliders in HRD aren't very accessible, at least I don't know how to interact and control them using Jaws or Windoweyes.
So we would need a few programmable buttons so that we wouldn't have to get our XYLs to click to set up split, click to change the filters to fight QRM and so on.
I'm thinking that the Griffin Power Mate USB knob and Hampod could do it or simply add a tuning knob to the Hampod and adapt it to serve as a remote encoder with tuning knob.
The problem is, not much thought is given to the blind when developing these products, if there were, Icom would certainly have put more than 3 buttons on there RC-28.

73:
Mike VO1AX