Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2014 17:15:26 -0400
From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
I too do not listen to very much AM now other than to hear an
occasional baseball game.

But, back in the day, in addition to some of the powerhouses that have
already been mentioned, these stations had outstanding signals into
Mississippi.:

WKYC, 1100, Cleveland which was where I heard Jackson Armstrong.

And then there was KAAY, 1090, in Little Rock, Arkansas. Their
overnight program, Beaker Street, with Clyde Clifford, was legendary.
For those who do not know this program, it was FM album rock music on
an AM station. He would play groups like Iron Butterfly, Jefferson
Airplane, and some really crazy stuff like The Legend of the Titanic by
Jami Brockett.

I was close enough to Memphis to hear both WHBQ, and WMPS. With a good
radio, I could hear both of them during most of the day, and at night
too, but not too well at night.

>From New Orleans, there was WNOE, and WTIX. They would go directional
away from me at night, but had good daytime signals here.

There was also a soul station in New Orleans that was WYLD. That one
couldn't be heard this far north, but we all thought the call letters
were cool.

Here in Jackson, Mississippi, there was also a soul station on, WOKJ,
on 1550. They were 50 KW day, and 10 KW at night with a crazy 6 tower
directional pattern. Friends in New York, and in Denver have told me
about hearing them at night.

Gary Burbank, who did the novelty song "Who Shot J. R." while at WHAS
in Louisville, worked here in the mid 60's before moving to Memphis. He
came out to the school for the blind and talked with a few of us radio
junkeys, then was the emcee for a talent show. He used the name Johnny
Apoloo in those days.

And then, there was this crazy fool that would come screaming through
the speaker at about midnight on XERF, on 1570. That, of course, was
Wolf Man Jack.

--
Mike Duke, K5XU