From:
Eric Oyen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2014 14:13:58 -0700
yeah,
there is a lot of that. However, quite a few of the hams I speak with on 40 meters at night are a very technical lot. SOme, like me, are computer savvy. Others have a more specialized background (like electronics or communications engineering).

Sometimes we do get a little off topic, but it doesn't stay that way for long. Hell, you should hear the gun smoke crowd on the local 146.940 machine here in phoenix. About the only subjects not discussed there are either of an obscene nature or simply inappropriate for over the air consumption. THere is also the DX spotters on there (and they are at it all day, every day).

Oh yeah, and let us not forget the tin foil hat crowd (discussing perpetual motion, and other subjects of a fringe nature). I refer to that as the X-Files crowd.

anyway, ham radio is a lot like any other community.