Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:53:37 -0400
Colin,

Yes, I have a Master's in Labor and Industrial Relations which is geared
more toward human resource management in a unionized environment.  But, most
programs in the U.S. at least have morphed more toward just a human
resources degree; particular since unions only represent about 7 percent of
the private workforce; but they are still predominant in the public sector.
I also did a year of jail (I mean law school) at the University of Michigan.
Both aspects have been useful.

With most careers, the formal training you get is far different from what
you end up doing from a practical level.  I knew the basic stuff, but
applying it in a practical setting is a lot different.

The only area I didn't do a whole lot with was workers' comp and benefits
design and administration.  But, I did do retirement calculations and
interpretation of benefit plans for the plant level.  I did more in the area
of compensation; but most of my experience was in employment, affirmative
action compliance, and labor-management negotiation/contract administration.

Steve