From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2014 13:44:09 -0600
I think IT guys forget about the human aspect of things hi hi.  Just a
friendly jab there Scott.
Steve did you take any specific education for HR?  I went through an HR
management Diploma program a couple years ago and have been seeking
employment in the field ever since.
Lots of employers actually find the idea of a blind HR person intriguing due
to the somewhat erroneous concept that we are somehow less partial, more
impartial because we can't see.  Or, that we are more easily able to perform
difficult HR duties with people because we don't have to look them in the
eye.
Unfortunately, this intrigue hasn't resulted in a position in the HR field
yet.  Nor would I want it to for those reasons as my skill set and
qualifications are solid enough to do the job.
I do some HR related stuff in my current job, but it's more of the putting
out fires and trying to retain employees and maybe the odd phone screening
interview variety.
I've tried to involve myself in the compensation and payroll side of the
business i work for, but it's a pretty rough and rocky transitional period
between a lone business owner and his wife who have been running the
business for 20 years, and now realize they have to trust and utilize
employees to get the daily work done because the business has grown so
much...but they don't want to do that because things might be done
differently than before and that might cause them to lose absolute control
over each aspect of the business.
Basically they have to go from micro managers to macro managers, and the
owner is a textbook example of an X manager so the whole thing is a bit
tricky lol.

Regards
Colin