From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 11:36:04 -0230
Hi all:

I'm mostly an SSB op, currently running an Ameritron 811H amp, driving it with a typical 45/50W of drive.
Should I really be concerned about hurting the 102's tubes with an extended period of operating? I'm thinking of the CQWW SSB contest in October.
I played in the ARRL's International DX Phone contest back in march with no ill affects to my 102 but some of my friends have been recommending that I shouldn't do that again and I dodged a bullet.
Considering that a good set of 6146s can dissipate a combined 100W, I don't think I'm coming even remotely close to that at 45/50W in tune/CW mode, with an SWR of 1.0/1 and 0 reflected power based on my TW-1's announcements. .
After getting that 45/50W in tune mode, I switch to SSB and control the amp's output with the mic gain and ALC control. In SSB, I'm just peaking over 600W. The amp is rated at 600W CW and 800W SSB.
I'm also thinking of when this transceiver was brand new in the early 80s. Wouldn't owners spend hours operating in all capable modes at the time? Running various amps, not exactly resonant antennas and the like?
I do have a backup rig but how my 102 performed in the last contest, makes me want to use her again. The filtering was absolutely fantastic and I got outstanding audio complements, opping with a Heil Pro Micro Duel with the HC-6 element and 500/600W amp.
With a solid state rig, they employ a roll back for SWR protection but when operating for long hours can they handle the beating that tubes can? Let's say if the rollback and cooling fails, how much beating would they take?

73:
Mike VO1AX