From:
Kevin Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2014 17:56:41 -0400
Hi.

Speaking of unintended transmissions, I have to tell my tale.  One feature I
liked about my 2000 was its ability to do cross band.  I used it to link my
HT to a local repeater.  Well, one day I had a doctor's appointment, and I
set the radio on cross band.  Problem was I set the 440 band to one
repeater, and the 2 meter band to another repeater.  There wasn't a problem
until one of the repeaters was keyed, then my radio would cycle the
repeaters, transmitting the audio from one, then the other.  This was going
on for several hours.  I got some phone calls about this while I was gone.
When I got back home I heard what was going on, and I quickly stopped the
problem.  The radio was hot, but it didn't seem to have any damage.  I had
hams from several counties looking for me.  That was the first, and last
time I did that mistake.  I still have a TM-V71A, and when it's not on Echo
Link I plan on using it in cross band mode.

Just letting you know that care needs to be used with these radios, but
they're built well.

73
Kevin Minor, N8EGA