From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2014 15:22:30 -0600
something to remember too, is that a vertical at sea level or very close to
it will perform extremely well due to the take off angle of radiation and
the increased salt content in the soil making a better ground plain.
This is why there is always such a debate over vertical verses wire
antennas...every location is different and many factors will effect how well
one or the other works.
Vertical antennas in my part of the world don't work quite as well for dx as
a dipole or wire type antenna.  But they work extremely well for low band
regional communications, far better than a wire typically does.
I'm supposed to be getting a diamond multi-band HF vertical this week
sometime and I'll be ground mounting it with as many radials as I can put
down for the time being.  I think it's only 40 through 10 or 40 through 6,
but I haven't used an HF vertical, other than the 11 meter stuff or mobile
antennas.  Should be interesting to compare between it and my windom.

73
Colin, V A6BKX