From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:50:21 -0600
exactly!
When you have either nothing, or you have the tw1 or tw2 to give you a
general idea of weather your antenna is going to be at least close to where
you want it, I go with what I can get.
Yes, I know there are higher precision units available and accessible with a
hampod or through computer software, but those are generally in a price
range much higher than I am willing to spend right at this point in time to
get an idea of the general swr on my antennas.
If I want to build a vhf or UHF beam, or vertical, or loop, or whatever, I
need to be able to check it to see if it's within 5 per cent of where I want
it to be...if it is, it'll generally be good enough for my purposes.
also, my actual power output is, again, not vitally important to know down
to the 10th of a watt...because, in practical application, a few watts isn't
going to make the difference...especially on HF.  And, as inaccurate as some
readings may be, I find the power output measurement to be fairly accurate
within the 5 to 100W range.
I have compared my readings on the tw1 for power output on a couple
different radios to a site master and other very high end devices such as,
an enritsu I think is the name....they are highly similar within a watt or
2.
anyway, for the average guy, an swr/power meter that gives plus or minus 5
per cent accuracy is just fine...as most ham shacks are not using very
expensive precision devices but your average, run of the mill under 100
dollar power/swr meter.

73
Colin, V A6BKX