From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2014 09:29:57 -0500
Dave,

Adding to what Tom said, most of us, at least here in
Mississippi, are operating from home, using our own
equipment.

I think there is one club station operating, but I am not
completely sure of that.

For 160 and 80 meters especially, and maybe 40 meter SSB,
some power is helpful.

But, as you know from having worked me on 20, 100 watts is
just fine on the higher bands.

That's part of why Steve in PA was unable to hear me well
enough to call me on 80 meters this morning.

I do not own an amplifier, so it's 100 watts or nothing for
me.

Of course, even with high power, you must hear the station
who is hearing you before a qso can happen, so power doesn't
automatically solve all problems.

I took that 80 meter sunrise run partly because nobody else
had signed up for anything in that time slot a few days ago,
and I figured that a few people in the region would like to
have the QSO without having to fight with a pileup. That
logic appeared to be reasonably correct. While I did make
the long distance contacts I mentioned earlier, the majority
were from W5 land.

Also, keep in mind that CW operators don't grow on trees. So
I bet your coordinator would love to have you on board for
the second run.

For me, the second day pileup was much bigger and intense
than the one I had the night the operation opened.

Nevertheless, I have found that CW people have been patient
overall.

The most bad pileup conduct complaints I am hearing from the
other event operators are coming from those who are running
the 40 meter SSB stations, especially in the evening.

K5XU