AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Ngine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2014 13:29:26 -0700
"Asante ya punda ni mateke"- Translation: “the thanks of a donkey is a kick”. This is exactly the way I can describe the situation in Kenya by the Somali people.  They came in droves and settled in Kenya either by their own or placed in the camps after the ongoing wars in their own country Somali. Those who came prepared stayed in very luxurious places as  long as they could afford.  Did anyone bother them? Nope!
They joined other foreigners who enjoy living in Kenya. Kenya can be called  “a melting pot” so as to say.  If one is making a project that need textile or food condiments, you have to go to River Road street where the Indians shops line one after the other.  Yes, Kenyans love their Lingala  music but guess what- some Congolese came and settled – which Kenyan does not sing along and dance to the Virunga music and the Popolipo!!
Talk about the taste of Italy. Just travel to Malindi and you will be in some little town of Italy with  marvelous Italian food style. Actually many cities have markets that carry local products and foreign foods to cater for the visitors if you know what I mean. “Expatriate living garage sale” is commonly known to many locals  who want to buy  exported things without flying out of the country.
Today we see the bombing of Gikomba market- this is an open air-market  place where  people come to buy second hand clothes, shoes, handbags etc.  For those who are not able to shop from the upscale high-end malls and boutiques, this is their place also known as “Sunshine Boutique” – you can guess why.  Why is this happening in a land where everyone felt free and that your worst enemy or fear were the thieves or those homeless kids who could harass you on the streets if you refused to “shota”- slung for donate some money.
Let me then suggest to you why I started with my saying above about donkey thanks---. This reasoning behind the bombing in Kenya is that they claim to be retaliating for Kenya's military involvement in Somalia since 2011. Could be true but this involvement came as a result of them attacking and kidnapping foreign aids from UN who were out to help in Somali. They did it towards the Kenyan boarder and there was fear all over not to mention the bandits. There were small blasts targeting the public means called ‘matatu” even before this military involvement. What  about the 1998 bombing of the  US Embassy in Kenya. Do you know how many US citizens, Kenyan or any other citizen died?
I know it may  not be  all the Somalis who settled in Kenya doing this but there are small pockets of them helping the bad guys  when they come to do this ugly stuff according to what we read in the press or being reported.  I pen off now  but  still wondering why you would want to hurt and destabilize the one place that gave you some home and stability when you needed it.

Thanks!
Jen