Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2014 21:55:28 -0400
7bit
Sender:
From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Hi, all.

I more thoroughly read the manual for the MFJ 914 auto-tuner extender that I
just purchased, and the "operations" portion explains more about the
function of the additional dummy load SO239 connector on the back of the
unit.

It seems that the idea is one of providing extra connection for your
equipment against static charges when the knob on the unit is in the off
position.

If I'm interpreting things correctly, the dummy load shouldn't attenuate any
transmitted or received signals, as long as the unit is in the off position.

Here's the text from the operation section:

Operation:

"The MFJ-914 Auto Tuner Extender is easy to use! First, bypass your
transmitters auto-tuner. Then, while transmitting at a low output power,
adjust the knob (from position A through G) on the MFJ-914 until you
see minimum SWR on your transmitter. Now you're ready to autotune.
The Off / Dummy Load position on the knob protects your tranceiver by
connecting it to an external dummy load, and by grounding your
antenna to bleed off static. The switch position D provides a through
connection from your transmitter to your antenna."

I'm going to be out at the RV tomorrow night through the week-end, so will
give things a try then.

I guess that will be the true test for me concerning the value of the
device.

Will keep you posted, but I welcome any additional thoughts anyone might
have.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ