Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2014 06:58:11 -0400
From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
My first portable was the Drake TR33, which was the same size as the
TR22, but used a single  crystal per channel for both transmit and receive.

There was a similar, but slightly larger rig made by Icom, the IC215.
That one used the traditional 2 crystals per channel.

Both the Drake and the Icom portables had fabulous receivers.

I never owned one, but Drake made a 10 watt amp and power supply combo
for the series. The TR22 lay on its back on top of this unit. I have
only seen one of them in a hamfest flea market years ago, but a friend
in Alabama ran that setup for years as his only 2 meter FM station.

Drake also made a 25 watt mobile amp.

                     Icom also made a pair of portable SSB rigs for 6
and 2 meters. These ran 3 watts, and were VFO controlled, but only
covered the SSB portions of 6 and 2 meters.

I think the models were IC501 and IC502.

When I first got on 6 meter SSB in the late 1970's, I worked several of
those portables. Many of them were used by people in apartments who
were only using the built in quarter wave antenna. I knew one guy who
got his 6 meter WAS that way.

--
Mike Duke, K5XU