From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2014 21:53:24 -0230
Keep in mind, if you use CW to tune up and get final readings, your probably peaking rated SSB outputs.
The 811H is a 600CW 800+SSB amp. I get 600 CW with my 45/50W of drive but switch to SSB and get 800+ on peaks.
The key from W8Ji is to keep your grid current below 200 and your plate current below 750MA. My grid bounces between 175 and just above 190 and my plate bounces between 450/600. They also can't pin. The 811H gets a bad rap due to the quality control of the later models but there are lots of mods that can be done to make this a pretty good bang for the buck amp.
Also, allot of the bad rappers, can't handle a tubed amp and the 811As aren't as a forgiving tube as the 572B/3-500Zs and when they try and squeeze every last watt, it fails. The Ft-102 has its share of haters because of the lack of forgiveness with the 6146s but tune quickly and efficiently, the 102 is an excellent performer and with good tubes, can last a good 5 to 10 years with a decent amount of use.

73:
Mike VO1AX