From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2014 11:28:46 +0100
Hi Mike,

Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs...  As Steve has suggested, your
tune up method is a potential hazard.  All it needs is a moments inattention
or distraction, and you could put 180 watts of input into the amp <smile>.

I don't use a valve amp, but I do use a 200 watt radio, and this is why it
is imperative to have the ALC line adjusted between radio and amp,  This ALC
is a safety device, and makes sure I can never over drive the amp.

As Steve says, switching between high and low power might lead to a mistake
one day.  For this reason, I always have the radio transmit on about 10
watts, and always run the amp.  Just too much to think about if I were to
regularly go bare foot.

If I were you, I would leave the 102 on the drive level needed for 600
watts, is it 50 watts, and never exceed it.  If the 102 can handle an ALC
line to the rig, I would fit one.

Personally, I wouldn't transmit QRO into an antenna with a 30 to 1 SWR
either, but realise that amateurs regularly tune impedances of several
thousand ohms <smile>.

There was an article in one of the radio magazines about tuners having
misleading ratings.  Some of the ATUs rated at 1 kilowatt were only good at
this power when the impedence is 50 ohms.  Kind of defeats the object
<smile>...

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals