From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2014 21:45:13 -0400
Once you have an idea how the plate loading and tuning controls should be
set on the various bands, I think you could use your TW-1 at the output of
the amplifier to tune it up, as well as adjust drive level from the TS590.
When the amplifier is off, or in its Standby position, if it has one, the
TW-1 can function to measure conditions at the output of your TS590.  This
is the sort of setup I use with my FT950 and FL2500 amplifier.
I found a website which had a nice write-up about the 30L-1 amplifier,
probably partly from advertising copy or its instruction manual that
somebody had scanned.
I suspect you will need to obtain an ARB704 relay buffer; designers of tube
amplifiers of that era  thought nothing of applying 100 volts or more to the
jack which keys the T-R relay, and this is probably beyond the ratings of
the transistors which provide the keying output from your TS590.  Consult
the specs for both pieces of equipment.
Before cranking up the power, I would advise seeing what you can do to
improve your antenna.  Your signal is never strong at this QTH on 20 meters,
and I would think it would be, based on your distance from me and band
conditions.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com