Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2014 09:21:01 -0700
7bit
Sender:
From:
Richard B McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Hi!

I just got my 6M - 160M 43 foot vertical antenna up, and am now ready to
explore HF for my first time.  I want to start with the 6M band; since I am
only a technician for now.  I have a Kenwood TS-2000.  My questions relate
to 1) use of the internal antenna tuner and 2) what mode to be in while
scanning through the band listening for activity.

About the internal antenna tuner, I know "SWR" in CW sounds if no match can
be found, but what should I hear if the tuning was successful?  Also, is
tuning only necessary before transmitting but not for receiving (just
listening)?  Basically, what's the best way to employ the internal antenna
tuner?

About "scanning" what I mean here is manually dialing through the band - not
auto scanning of any sort.  So, when doing this what mode (e.g., AM, FM,
USB, LSB) should I be in to best hear some activity?  Also, am I correct
that once I hear something I can then switch among these modes so as to
better tune-in the activity?

Many thanks!  This is all new to me; so any tricks are greatly appreciated.
This is especially so for how best to use the internal antenna tuner!

73,

Richard KK6MRH