Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 11:19:12 -0400
7bit
Sender:
From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
The 102 should be fine, in fact you don't want to go too easy on the tubes
so if anything you're on that side of it. I used to use a TS-830 for the
little contesting I used to do and never hurt it and I ran that full power
out the whole time all modes. Tubes will take a lot more abuse as far as SWR
goes, with solid state really much over 1.5:1 is not good but that's why the
roll back and antenna tuners are so common. Roll back protection is a
wonderful thing for saving the finals but it only prolongs it, it won't save
them so don't count on it to save the finals, for example don't run with a
2:1 SWR all the time thinking that will save you because the power's back,
they will still blow eventually, with a tuner the radio's happy and that
will save them. The newer radios have so much heat sink to them you'd
probably know long before you over heat one, not to mention you can hear the
fan cycle on and off and most have fans with 2 or 3 speeds or 2 or 3 fans. I
know my TS-2000 has multiple speeds for the fan and I can't remember even as
often and hard as I run it on a regular basis the last time the fan got to
the faster setting and on my TS-570 I had before this, same thing except
that fan didn't come on unless the radio was hot and it really took a lot to
make that fan come on. I'm sure contesting would do it but with all the heat
sink in these radios, it's very hard to overheat one, at least a Kentwood
and the bitter Icoms. I know you can overheat an IC-706 and I know plenty of
people who have overheated yaesu radios, newer ones anyway, but either radio
with what you want to do you should be fine. You can't worry about them
breaking all the time, if you do you end up like when I used to have 6 or 7
radios around and 5 just sitting doing nothing because there's no room on
the desk. Now due to financial problems I have the TS-2000 and the IC-706
which I'd love to trade for another Kentwood radio so my accessories all
work and that is it. I still run the TS-2000 daily and hard at times and
it's been fine, the only problem it had was a known one for a certain range
of serial numbers it fell dead center of.