Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2014 13:13:57 -0400
7bit
Sender:
From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
ok.  the major advantages of the switching supply are size, weight, and
eficiency.  They are smaller, lighter, and more power efficient.  Also,
usually sound quieter.

Disadvantage is that many if not most create rf noise.  The better ones are
pretty darn quiet.
I have the alinco dm330v and it is pretty quiet in the ham bands.
However, it does make a good deal of noise on am broadcast.  This can be
moved around so as not to interfere with the station to which you are
listening via an adjustment on the supply.

This has been a very good supply for me.  32 amps surge, and smaller than a
shoe box.  weighs maybe 5 pounds.

However, I also have an mfj 35 amp surge supply. This is a conventional
supply, weighs about 20 pounds, and is roughly comparable to the astron of
the same rating.  No rf noise, but is considerably louder.

There are other switchers, the  most highly rated I have heard of are the
alinco, astron, and gamma research.
The gamma research is interesting because it is well regarded, and extremely
small; more like a laptop charger in size.

Hope this helps.