Date:
Fri, 2 May 2014 13:14:58 -0400
Rick was pretty famous or infamous, lol.  His original call was WA8JQV and
he became N9RH.  I drummed for him back in the late 70's.  His dad was a ham
as well, and they had a real nice tower with a 20-meter monobander.

One of the nicest guys you could want to meet, he'd give you the shirt off
his back if you needed it.

He's famous as being verified at copying over 80 words per minute.  Guys at
the Central Michigan Amateur Radio Club recorded some CW that they went at
around 40-45 WPM.  They played it back to Rick at double-speed and he copied
it.

I remember one day on 75 meters.  There were several of us talking to this
YL from North Dakota.  There was myself, K8SP, Randy N8KL, George Wa8yuz.
Then, Ricky decided to join our group.

I rarely mentioned the fact that I was blind when on the air; I've talked
with people for months before something would just come up in passing.
Ricky wasn't like that.  So, he butts into our QSO and says "Karen, you
know, all of us on frequency are blinde."

Well, she didn't know what to say.  I remember George YUZ responding "No,
Karen, we're just out of sight..."

Steve, K8SP