From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2014 13:52:58 -0400
A friend in Mississippi who knew Otis told me this story a long time
ago, and someone else put it on one of the AM lists shortly after he died.

At some point in the 60's, Otis had a Hispanic family living next door.
One day the neighbor lady came to his door and said: "There is an evil
spirit in my oven. And, when it speaks, it speaks with the voice of Otis!"

Something in her stove was rectifying RF from his KW AM rig. He too ran
a homemade broadcast type transmitter with a pair of 833 tubes in the
final and another in the modulator.

That transmitter is still on the air. A guy in Arkansas bought it when
Otis went into a nursing home.

I only talked with Otis briefly once or twice, and it was in a large
group, so our direct conversation was short.

However, my roommate at the school for the blind and I spent hours
listening to him, and wondering how one grown man could have so much
fun talking on the radio!

--
Mike Duke, K5XU