From:
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2014 09:46:02 -0500
Regarding the TM-V71a verses a handheld...

First, they serve pretty much two different objectives in terms of use and
portability. The TM-V71a is a mobile/base transceiver that receives over a
very wide range from about 136 MHZ up to almost 500 MHZ. It transmits on a
much more restricted range, basically, the 144 and 440 ham bands. When
operating mobile from a vehicle, it can be plugged into the vehicle's
accessory socket for power; although, it is recommended that you wire it
directly to the vehicle's 12 volt battery. When used as  a base rig, it
requires an external power supply that puts out, ideally, 13.8 volts at
about 10 amps; though, a 15 amp supply is preferred. It is far more flexible
than most handhelds as the others here on the list stated. The one huge
advantage is that, with the use of the VGS1 speech module, it provides audio
for about every single control on the transceiver.

In contrast, I do not know of any handhelds that provide nearly the level of
audio control or speech that allows you to control and configure everything
on the handheld. The handhelds are certainly more portable and operate from
their own battery supply. They are also far more limited in terms of power
output, usually limited to a maximum of 5 watts, while the TM-V71a provides
three power levels, low (about 5 watts), medium (about 25 watts), and high
(about 50 watts).

In short, if you want/need something small, totally portable that you can
walk around with in your hand or stick in your pocket, then, your only
choice is a handheld, and there numerous handhelds from which to choose. If
money is a serious limitation, you can purchase one of the very inexpensive
Chinese handhelds, like the Baofeng, for less than $50. They will provide
you with some speech, but not nearly as much as many of us would like. If
you want a better quality, more rugged handheld, AES has several on sale
right now in conjunction with the Dayton hamvention. However, I am not aware
of any of the handhelds that provide very much speech control.

Many of us have both, a mobile/base rig like the TM-V71a and a handheld. In
my personal situation, I take my TM-V71a back and forth from my van to my
house. I have a power plug on it that allows me to connect and disconnect it
very quickly. I also have one of the inexpensive Chinese handhelds, one of
the Baofeng transceivers, but I don't really use it very much.

So, it all depends on your needs and how you plan to use the rig. The
TM-V71a certainly isn't any handheld, and none of the handhelds offer the
speech control, power, and overall flexibility of the TM-V71a.

Ron, K8HSY