From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2014 09:05:12 +0100
Hi Mike,

I've not been following this thread, but the first thing I would say is that
your friend probably feels as bad as you do.  Personally, I would count
friendship way above a couple of tubes, or indeed, any equipment <smile>.  I
have amateur friends, and yes, they occasionally suggest things that I know
are wrong, but then, I'm sure I often do the same.  Neither of us are
'idiots', we just have differing experience.

If I was your friend, I too would think the problems must be with your
station, and I too would go looking for issues!

As I said, I've not been following the thread, but I can possibly answer the
differences between your vertical and a trapped vertical.  Basically, you
are relying on the tuner to find a good match, whereas a trapped antenna
will attempt to give you resonance on the bands it covers.

The big question I would be asking, is what is the SWR for each band on your
vertical.  This is the SWR without the ATU.  It could be 2 to 1 on 40,
meaning the ATU is just tweaking the impedance, but it could be 30 to 1 on
75.  I would not personally put high power into this, even if you can get a
1 to 1 match using an ATU.

As I say, check the antenna SWR on each band.

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals