GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
adama kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 06:53:19 PDT
What is the prevalence of AIDS/HIV in The Gambia? Given the magnitude of the
socio-economic effects of an epidemic as Zimbabwe's as well as other east
African countries is it conceivable to legislate behaviour in the interest
of the common good of society as a whole.  A place that comes to mind is
Singapore. (I know this sounds very authoritarian, particular coming from
someone who respects the civil liberties of individuals). From my
understanding of social behaviour at least in the Senegambia region, it does
not seem individuals are close to being responsible when it comes to their
sexual practices, despite all the hypocrisy about being devout and
practicing muslims and christians.  The adulterous behaviour of husbands
(some with multiple wives already) and wives, with the not so infrequent
stories of 60yr old men impregnating 17yr and 18yr old high school girls
since to be common knowledge to most people. These so called "accident"
pregnancies suggest that these adulterers don't seem to use much in the form
of protection.