From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
For blind amateur radio operators <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2014 13:25:30 -0600
Ron,

I had a novice crystal for 3703 I used a lot and about 1 o'clock in the
morning one night, I was listening and calling CQ on that frequency.  Since
the BC348 was so wide, I could hear some high pitched beeps off to the side
so I quickly tuned down to about 3700 and heard two guys going so fast, I
could not copy but a word here and there.  This was in 1966.  They were
sending using break in to each other so I started sending bk bk whenever I
heard then change over to the other person.  Finally, one of them said they
thought they heard something and they tuned around and heard me so they both
moved up to my frequency.  I believe Rick was working a WB4ASN or WB4AIN or
something like that.  They slowed down to my 20 WPM ability to copy and we
talked about an hour.  Then we found out I went to the Nebraska school for
the blind and he went to the Michigan school.  Shortly there after, I got my
general and Rick and I not only worked CW on 15 a lot but we talked on 20
and 15 side band many times after that first QSO.  I know he's been gone for
a long time but he was a very good CW operator and I enjoyed knowing him
over the years on the bands.  To this day I wonder how they heard my little
80 meter signal over 3 KHz from their frequency, haha.

Phil.
K0NX