From:
Mike Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2014 10:33:46 -0330
Hi All:

well I just got back from a weekend at the cottage and even though I didn't
do much operating, when I did, the ATU issue returned.
So through a process of alimination, 1ST I rotated the roller inductor knob
and heard a very pronounced scratching/static noise.
I removed the ground from the back of the tuner, thinking that the cause
was the ground wire coming into contact with the feedline and still the SWR
spikes occured.
Lastly I tapped and jiggled the roller inductor knob a few times and low
and be hold, the problem went away.
There's also a very loud squeaking when I rotate the roller knob as well.
So here's what I'm gonna do. The next time I'm out to the cottage, my XYL
and I, through some help from the list, are gonna perform sergery on that
tuner.
I'd like to do a skype communication, although I'm not sure how well the
skype will work through the 3G iPhone as a personal hotspot, which is what
I  use when I'm out there as we have no internet or cable TV.
If skype fails, we could possibly use HF, I'd hook up the 570 and take care
of it that way or if all else fails, a good old fashioned ph call.
I really don't want to junk this tuner if I don't have too, I think it just
needs a good clean up, possibly a couple of solders and everything should
be ok.
Also, I'm saving for an amp and I found out yesterday that it was prefered
that I'd take the AL-811, now H instead of 811, instead of the KW-1000 due
to its age.
Not only that, I can have this 811H for 500 and MFJ will still fix this
thing if something goes wrong. There's a little bit of a power play
happening with this amp though.
The thoughts are its a 600W amp, which is why the Gentleman who's
liquidating the estate, is willing to let me have it.
He thinks the KW is a real KW SSB amp. LOL
So back on the tuner for a moment, what should I pick up with regards to
oil for the roller inductor knob and is rubbing Aalchahol fine for contact
cleaner?
Hope I can get some help with this in a couple of weeks.

TNX and 73:

Michael DE VO1AX

P S

Contact me off list who's willing to help with the sergury for my contact
info.