VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2014 11:24:42 -0800
I don't think Microsoft has any real reason for going back to the look
and feel of Windows 7. Windows 8 isn't so different from Windows 7. I've
been using my new computer full-time for about three weeks, and though I
remember noticing differences when I first started, I don't notice very
many now. In some cases, it's because I've done some fiddling, like
putting This PC on the desktop, but in most cases, it's just because
I've learned to do a few things a little differently. I did read that
you can already set up your computer to open in the desktop. I thought
about doing that, but Jaws seems to do it automatically, and when I use
NVDA, it's a matter of hitting Windows+m, which isn't a big deal.

I think the real problem is that the metro area needs more keyboard
support. Metro is perfect for a phone or tablet. I can imagine myself
exploring the screen and tapping on whatever icon I want just as I do
with my Android devices, and if I'm used to using the tablet, as are
many of my college students, I can expect my computer to behave in a way
that's familiar to me. But if I'm a keyboard user, as are many
professionals who want to get work done on the go, taking my hands off
the keys to touch the icon is a slow-down.

For example, Skype is in the Metro area. While you can move many metro
apps to the desktop, you can't move all of them. Skype seems to be one
of these. The other thing you can't do in the Metro area is use
first-letter navigation or set up a hot key. So when I want to use
Skype, I need to arrow around to find it, which is a little less
convenient than the other options.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]