From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:04:59 -0500
On Apr 25, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Geoffrey Purcell wrote:

> Not really. Given the burger bar's stated aim to be as unhealthy as humanly possible, their burgers clearly come from grainfed cattle, not wild game , such as found in the Palaeolithic era. Plus, there's the frying in oils  and the french fries of the Heart Attack Grill , which also were not part of palaeo traditions.Then there's the huge amount of lard in which all the burgers were soaked in :- lard is also often treated with bleaching and deodorizing agents, emulsifiers, and antioxidants, such as BHT. If, as is highly likely, the lard  is also hydrogenated lard, then the lard will have very unhealthy trans-fats in it, too. Mind you, given the multitude of studies on the harm done by cooked animal foods, I suspect that even if they were all preservative-/chemical-free etc;, the cooked burgers would still cause some harm.
>
> Geoff

Indeed.  But I don't think their "unhealthy" claim is based on whether the cattle came from a feedlot or the open plain.  Their focus is on the fat -- fat, and lots of it, is the foundation of the menu, and the root of their "unhealthy" claim.   But that is exactly what the paleo dieters, and this list in particular, say we *should* be eating.  That's all I was pointing out.  I don't think you should eat a behemoth burger like that in a single sitting, no matter what it's made out of.

--
  Robert Kesterson