From:
Michael Thurman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 2013 01:25:33 -0500
the switch should be off on and hold, which locks the controls if memory serves. it sounds like you have a 3rd generation I pod shuffle. If you have the 3rd generation you might have to use the included earbuds with controls,  the 4th generation allows you rouse any earphones and leaves the control with a standard headphone jack instead of a special one that only apple had. they sold almost none of those because of the proprietary headphone jack.  Honestly if I had one I would load it with music or a book and use it int he car, or clip it to a pair of headphones, or better yet slip it inside the ear cup of a headset with some creative remanufacturing. I am not sure they even del that model anymore, as the iPod has gone way beyond a tiny little player. players like that are great for taking to the gym where if it gets broken or dropped in water you don’t cry your eyes out over it.