VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2018 07:23:09 -0800
Hi All,

I've had lots of computer drama recently. In a nutshell, I've bought
four computers in the last week, and I've returned three of them for one
problem or other. The fourth one seemed fine until I started installing
software. Then I got the same error from one of the earlier computers.

I don't want to drag this out, so I'll keep it simple. I'm buying a new
dinky laptop for lecturing. The first one is the one that's relevant. It
had several problems. One of them was that I had trouble installing
software. When I installed Chrome, it said that I wouldn't be getting
Chrome updates because Chrome wasn't compatible with Windows XP or
Vista. When I installed Jaws, it said some components couldn't be
installed because my computer wasn't compatible, and when I tried
reinstalling Jaws a day or two later, it said there was a problem and it
uninstalled Jaws automatically. I was able to install Dropbox, but I got
a weird warning of some sort, which I'm not remembering. I tried one
more installation, and like Dropbox, it was successful, but there was
some sort of alert. Anyway, the computer had other issues, so I reset it
and sent it back.

I'm working with the fourth computer now. When I installed Chrome, I got
the same error, but when I installed Dropbox, everything went fine. I'm
nervous about installing Jaws or anything else. I did some Googling
about the Chrome problem, but the only thing I've found is that I should
reinstall Chrome or check my firewall and parental controls. I'm not
clear about what I should be checking for, though.

Does anyone here have any ideas about what to check or what could be
happening?

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]