VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2016 15:50:45 -0800
Hi All,

I'm having three minor annoyances with my cheapy Windows 10 tablet. They
all boil down to Microsoft trying to make my life easier, but nothing I
do to fix things helps. Here are the problems I'm having:

* I can't update my version of Windows 10 because of low memory. When I
go into This PC > Windows OS, I find something called Windows.old. After
some Googling, I've learned that this is a complete copy of my previous
version of Windows and that, after a month, it should disappear on its
own, thus freeing up lots of disk space. Well, three months later, it's
still there. I don't use the tablet all the time, but I do leave it on
over night at least once a month so it can do whatever maintenance it
needs to. The web also tells me that I should be able to get rid of
Windows.old by using Disk Clean-Up in regular or administrator mode.
I've tried both, but neither works. I vaguely remember trying one other
suggestion, but that didn't work either. So ... my last Windows 10
update was back in September, and I don't know how else to free up more
memory. Btw, when I bought this tablet, it was running Windows 8. I had
no problem updating to 8.1 or 10. The problem happened around the
Anniversary edition. I don't remember if I can't update to the
anniversary edition or to the tweak that came a few weeks later. This
also affects my ability to install updates to things like Windows Defender.

* I can't get Word to save my documents to C:/users/Ana/Documents.
Everything winds up in One Drive. I've gone into Word > File Menu >
Options > Save to tell it to save to the local drive and to set the file
path to C:/users/Ana/Documents, but things don't show up there.

* I can't make the sign-in dialog for One Drive go away. Cloud services
are helpful, but they're also invasive and risky about once a year, I
need to reset my password for one service or other because of a breach),
and having to have different user accounts for each is irritating in the
extreme (yet another user name and yet another password as the previous
one had to be reset), so I pick one service, Google, and stick with it,
using a second service, Dropbox, as a Plan B. For me, One Drive is one
service too many, so I don't use it and have no interest in starting to
use it. I found some instructions for making it go away. I'd have to
check again, but I think you go into the overflow toolbar, find the One
Drive icon, press the applications key, and go into Settings to disable
it. The steps worked on my desktop and laptop, but not on this tablet.

the tablet is an HP Stream. I also have an HP laptop. I was able to make
things happen my way on the laptop, so in theory, I should be able to
correct them on the tablet. I've set the tablet to desktop mode, of
course, but that doesn't seem to be helping.

Any ideas or tips would be very much appreciated.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]