VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tony Swartz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Swartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 2015 07:55:15 -0500
This post isn't intended as a criticism of the American Printinghouse for
the Blind as a whole, rather it is send as a caution to others who might be
led to purchase an inferior product and also a recommendation of a vastly
superior alternative. Recently I was involved with an organization in the
development of a daisy product and recommended the purchase of Book Wizard
Producer from APH. For about two weeks I struggled with BWP attempting to
build a Daisy book. BWP is poorly documented so I searched the internet for
further documentation only to find that others had struggled with the
product experiencing many of the same issues I had, including an inordinate
amount of product instability. Desperate to complete the project, I gave up
on BBWP and turned to an open source product, OBI. Within a day of
downloading and installing OBI, I had the project completed. I found OBI to
be remarkably simple to use, highly configurable, well documented, and
completely accessible. As an open source project development continues and
the price, free, can't be beat. So if you have the need to build an audio
Daisy 2 or 3 book or a Daisy text book, save your money, avoid the
frustration, and download OBI. Here's the URL:

http://www.daisy.org/project/obi

Tony Swartz

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]