VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:29:07 -0800
Hi all,

I'm confused about how windows 10 updates work, or maybe I'm confused
about whether things are working correctly, so I'm hoping for clarification.

since I upgraded my various computers to Windows 10, I haven't been
prompted to update as I power down. sometimes in the taskbar (I think),
I notice an item that tells me I'm updating, and sometimes I go into the
Windows Update screen and find out I'm updating, but even in those
cases, I don't get any kind of prompt to update when I finally power
down. Whenever I go into the Windows Update screen on my laptop, I hear
that 45% of the updates have been downloaded. This number never changes.
Eventually, I check and either the update is still at 45% or the system
is updated.

Last night I pressed enter on a Details link (I think). Windows told me
that updates are installed quietly in the background and that the
computer powers down when I'm not using it. This would explain why the
battery level isn't always as I remember it. Yesterday, for example, it
was at 28% when I turned it on. The last time I'd used it was three or
four days before, and at that time, the battery was at about 75%. But I
can't say I've ever noticed my desktop power up or down on its own, and
if no one is around or if it's time to go to bed, I turn the power strip
off so there's no way the desktop can do anything.

Does anyone know how to be sure things are working correctly?

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]